Friday, June 12, 2009

Gypsy Living ~

This little pretty has created quite a stir around here...

You may remember back at Christmas hubby gave me this chandelier, well it's up


Here you can see I added one of my favorite touches, the vintage ceiling tin (and trimmed it out)


After it went up, we noticed everything else was looking a bit tired, so up went the crown molding we've been meaning to get to, and of course then the walls and trim needed a fresh coat of paint, which led to realizing the hardwood floors desperately needed a new life...so for the past several months we've been shuffling furniture here and there. We means us, not me calling someone to do the work...no wonder I dream of dialing for services!


Last week everything finally got up and out of both the living and dining rooms to do the floors, stuff is everywhere


It was kind of fun having to swing yourself into the kitchen, and walk around outside to the sun room to watch tv, but now the push is on! My Mom and Big Girl jumped in to help, thankfully, and we got so much done


I can't wait to put everything back together. Of course it's still a 100 year old cottage with all is charming quirks, but at least the living and dining rooms look so fresh and clean and pretty ~ I love it! Oh how I wish I could freshen everything up with new furniture ~ a girl can dream!

Since we will have a house full of guests this summer, plus hosting the Mermaid Cache ~ Creative Tea, I've been chipping away at packing up and cleaning out Big Guy's bedroom to make it into a guest room. He's been on his own now for two years, so it was time. It was bittersweet, but I had so many laughs remembering his childhood as I packed up his many collections; rocks, marbles, cars & little figurines, magnets, coins, journals & writings, comics, boy scout stuff (he's and Eagle Scout,) and books. This kid has books, and most of them he took with him already!


The oil paint and polyurethane fumes must be making me loopy, because in the midst of all this Big Girl said we NEED to paint the kitchen cabinets, so of course we grabbed the nearest screwdrivers and removed all the cabinet hardware...that's about when hubby walked in from work. You know, he's such a good guy, he just quietly looked around and saved his thoughts for later...and later he shared that maybe we should finish all the other projects before moving on to the kitchen. Very good advice, so that's the plan! See, there is a plan ~ oh help!

Wish me luck ~
xo Heidi & Company

17 comments:

Lori said...

oh my gosh Heidi!!! now i see why you are so busy...your home looks lovely...the chandelier is so beautiful...i bet it makes you smile every time you look at it...good luck finishing up all of your projects!!!

Paris Rags Romance said...

It will be beautiful, cant wait to see...such a beautiful home, the floors are so amazing and I love the french doors, sigh....best to your ventures coming up! Hugs, Kimberly

Holly Campbell said...

Wow! You have quite a list! Beautiful pictures though. . .It looks like you are doing a wonderful job!

Rochelle said...

Wow! You are sure energetic! By the way that chandelier is gorgeous and the hardwood floors look amazing! Our floors need to be refinished too but I am afraid of all the dust it creates once sanded. Did you have a big mess with the sanding?
Have a great day!
Rochelle

Builders victoria said...

Nice house...

Tristan Robin said...

you are more ambitious than I am!

everything looks wonderful - I'm pea-green with envy! I need some of your get-up-and-go-get-it-done attitude!

shabbyscraps said...

good luck! but I don't think you need it, it looks fab! love the chandelier with the ceiling tin!
xoxo, Tiffany

Maija said...

Oh Heidi! It looks so fresh and dreamy!!! How wonderful to be doing it with your daughter as well!

Heather ~Pretty Petals said...

you are on a roll girl! Don't stop now...

everything is looking gorgeous! keep up the good work! xoxo Heathe

Jill said...

Keep at it, you'll get it done! My oldest daughter is only gone a year but we know she'll never really move back home so she packed up her room too. It was sad, but the kids shifted around moving rooms now and I do like that kind of change.

Vintage by Crystal said...

You go girl! Now you can eat off those floors! Well...except that polyurethane isn't all that good for you...lol. Your furniture reminds me of Rachel Ashwell...love it! Have fun finishing up!! :)

Alison Gibbs said...

Wow Heidi. It looks gorgeous. Love those shiny floors. So much more rewarding when you have done the work yourselves.
Alison

Boracay accommodation said...

Your house is so beautiful

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

What a beautiful room! I can't wait to see it all put back together....then onto the kitchen??

Blessings,
Spencer

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

The floor is beautiful. My hardwood is in desperate need of sanding and a new coat. The chandelier is gorgeous! I LOVE to hear about other people who start projects before they finish the last. It's a sistehood!

Unknown said...

Hi,

Just found you on blogger thru flikr, such beautiful pictures.
Torie

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Your husband has good advice, but so hard to follow! Go with it, while you are on a roll!