Tuesday, December 01, 2009

I Love Coffee ~

I don't drink it, but I sure do brew up a lot of it!


Dyed coffee filter wreaths were the centerpieces on each table at my recent event, and were the raffle prizes. They were a big hit! So much so that several of the women ran home to dye coffee filters, and will be back here Friday night to make wreaths ~ and I finally got my dining room cleaned. Well, I guess we call that a blank slate, right!? The glue guns will be fired up and the glitter flying!

I've added the simple dying instructions at the end of this post. Be warned though if you make one, it's the kind of thing that makes guys question our sanity ~ not mine, he's used to this kind of thing. Please share, I'd love to see your creations!

Creating in the ballroom


The tradition of hanging cones on the chandelier continues...


Janet ~ you made my blog!
She's going to be so thrilled


For such a fabulous event, it's disappointing to not have equally wonderful pics! If you'd like to peek at more ~ you can see them here. Several of us were having camera issues, and the lighting . . . oh, this has been a sad theme around here lately (as you can see from the very blurry pics in recent posts.)

We got the Little One, my budding photographer, a new camera for Christmas that I hope she'll share (or I'll sneak when she's at school,) a Nikon 40D, lucky girl! Maybe Santa will bring me one too...

Have fun ~

To dye filters: Dip a whole chunk/section of basket style (not cone) coffee filters in 4 cups of brewed coffee, let excess coffee drain off for a minute, separate slightly and place in dryer on med/low heat for ONLY 10 min, check, separate & fluff and put on for ONLY another 10 min - easy! Don't worry if they are wrinkled - it doesn't matter. And please, we all know what heat can do to paper, so be careful! These dry very quickly when separated. You can air dry them, but the coloring will be streaky, not uniform ~ experiment!

Colored fliters: If you want a lighter shade, add more water - if you want it slightly colored, add tea (I used pomegranate tea to make a slight pink tone,) or add a drop of food coloring to coffee - blue in weak coffee makes a nice vintage robins egg color!

One chunk/section of filters is more than enough to do a 12" wreath - you know how they're packaged in several "chunky" sections in the package?


16 comments:

Alisa Noble said...

The wreath is beautiful, Heidi!

Boxwood Cottage said...

Heidi I'm absolutely smitten by your beautiful wreath! I wonder how basket style coffee filters look and if we have them here in Germnay too.
Warmest wishes sends you
Carola

Heather - Speckled Egg said...

Everything looks beautiful!!! I can't wait to make a wreath!!!

Jeanne Oliver said...

They turned out amazing!!! I usually use tea because the last time I used coffee everything smelled like an ashtray:-) Glad you have better luck than me!!!

Suz said...

Heidi,
Your wreath looks just beautiful!!! I want to make one now, too!

V I N T A G E O L O G I E said...

Heidi~

First off ... wonderful blog you have here, I'm happy to find it {and you!!} Second .. I have a whole stack of filters already dyed ~ can't even remember what project they where planned for ... but, now thanks to you and your wreath tutorial I know what to do with them now!... this will be a great snowy day project to do today!!

Thank you for sharing, I'll get back to you and let you know how it turns out ... hmmm ... maybe ; )

xo
Jill

Mrs. Cherry Heart said...

That wreath is beautiful..... I am excited to give it a try!

Where is the rest of the tutorial??????

Hugz, Dolly

Myko said...

I'm so happy to have stumbled upon your beautiful blog. Thank you for sharing the wreath idea. I am thinking I would love to give it a go!

Cristina-Sweet Pea Ink said...

Love it! And thanks for the robin's egg blue tip...tee, hee! I'll be making one for certain!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi: I'm thrilled to find your blog and I LOVE all of your artwork. My daughter is getting married and I would like to make the coffee wreaths. Once dyed - what do you mount them on to make the wreath...can you help me with this?

my e-mail is myke.holt@hotmail.com
Thanking you in advance.
Myke
P.S. Do you have a source to purchase plain bottle brush trees? I've been looking here in Texas - but no luck. I'm looking for 12 and/or 15" trees.

Eileen@Star'sFault said...

Hello Heidi! Your wreath is lovely. I just finished one out of book paper and, of course, glitter... it turned out so pretty. i will have to try this one now too, and will have an abundance of wreaths this year. I can't wait to put dyed coffee filters in the DRYER. This will confuse and amaze Mr. Wonderful and he will surely have something snarky to say about it. I can't wait!

Blessings ~ Eileen @ Star's Fault

Unknown said...

Whoa! Am I ever glad I found you! Going to try this myself, untalented me is! Love your blog. Pop oer for a visit.

Merry Christmas & Hugs, TTFN ~Marydon

Unknown said...

Heidi,
Thanks so much for sharing your magical wreath with us. I wish I lived closer so I could participate in some of your workshops. :) Could you tell me what you used for your wreath base? Also how was the glitter applied? My e-mail is sunshine_meadow@hotmail.com. Thanks so much for your help! I enjoy reading your blog and the lovely kits in your shop.

Susan at Charm of the Carolines said...

Excellent idea! The wreath is beautiful.

Merry Christmas!

Susan at Charm of the Carolines

Karen ~ Cider Antiques said...

Just gorgeous!!! Thanks so much for sharing your instructions. I look forward to making one :)

Merry Christmas and all the best for 2010!

Karen

Mademoiselle Julie said...

Fab idea with the filters I am going to table for next year! I might deco my tables @ our reception with them! great job, Heidi! All the best to you & yours for this holiday season! Cheers, Julie