Friday, March 06, 2009

Lighting up my life ~

It's been a long time since I played with coffee filters. The last time was when I was in art school and had to create a wearable design made from anything but fabric, which was very fun! It seems there has been a resurgence in the simple coffee filter as an art medium, so I decided to jump on the bandwagon. This string of lights now brightens my entryway (inspired by Andrea who used sewing pattern paper and Candylights,) was a way to pass this looong winter!

I used a string of lights I bought at Ikea, which I love because it has lots of tiny lights on the string ($20.} Each filter was dipped in hubby's leftover coffee by grabbing it in the center, then letting each dry with the edge side down ~ they look like a little mountain range drying atop the pizza box.

I cut each "flower" down a bit, some more than others, and even layered two together here and there. Each was attached using strips of the leftover scraps I cut and a glue stick. First I made a band that wrapped under the string and up each side of the base. To finish and secure it, I wrapped a piece around the base a couple times.

One of my favorite "aged patina" colors is that wonderful caramel coffee stained color. Not sure why I didn't think of it before, but next time I go to the paint store I'll bring an old stained coffee filter!

If you'd like to see more of my "aged patina" pieces, come visit me on Kari's blog, A Year of Color. She's featured some pics from my home. This month's theme is monochromatic, but I used that a bit loosely. Oops! I forgot it's a private blog - here's the lineup of featured guest artists, and here is how you can view it.

Hope you enjoy!

xo Heidi

16 comments:

Stephenie said...

Wow, I just love your lights. I would of never thought to use coffee filters.. You did an amazing job..
Stephenie

Kimberly said...

Heidi~ That is just TOO clever! As soon as I saw the finished product (and read how easy it was to do...at least I HOPE it is), I ran straight for the kitchen and started dunking. It's so funny because I pulled a string of lights out yesterday (while I was tackling my basement clean-up job). I wanted to put them around/ on top of my china cabinet, but They looked too...ummm...Christmasy. I think this project may be the answer! Thanks so much for sharing. I'll let you know how mine turn out.
~Kimberly~

Tristan Robin said...

these are knock-outs! I love 'em!

until now, I have managed to ignore coffee filters as art medium, but this string of lights may just get me involved in yet another project!

Jennifer said...

I love the lights over that bed. It looks so lovely and appealing!

Alisa Noble said...

They look wonderful wonderful!

Alison Gibbs said...

Heidi fabulous idea. Looks sensational
Alison

Cassandra said...

Wow that is just so beautiful! Your photos are amazing. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful idea!

Jill said...

I came over from Lesley's blog--I want to adorn lights now!! Maybe today. Our kids are having a snow day and they could help. I would need to use Christmas lights since that's what I have now.

Ellen said...

I have seen them Heidi, on the Year of Color blog and loved each one. The one on your blog with the coffee filters is so clever , I hope to make one too, thanks so much for the inspiration!!

Becs said...

Heidi, what a great idea! Those lights are too cute! I love your blog, it is so peaceful and warm! Becs

Kathy said...

Hi again Heidi,
Thanks for visiting my blog ; ). My friend, Elria (the one whose home I told you about) doesn't have a blog, but she may have some pics I could email you. You will LOVE her house!

I'm going right away to my blog to clarify that the lovely dress is not my giveaway--it's a link to a woman's blog who is constantly giving away all manner of lovely things! I'll go ahead and give you the link here so you can get over there and enter ; ).

Her blog is: http://www.grosgrainfabulous.blogspot.com/

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

LOVE those lights! How yummy they look. I'm thinking I'd better get going with the filters and the coffee too!

Warm regards,
Spencer

Sugar and Spice Art Confections said...

Those lights are so wonderful! What a beautiful infant as well. Now how do you find time to do all that lovely art with a wee one around??? It is what keeps you sane, right?
Rebecca aka pumpkincoach on Marie site

Frieda Oxenham said...

Gorgeous lights, just beautiful!

Angela Harris said...

This is RIDICULOUSLY gorgeous! I thought this was a photo from Romantic homes or something. Heidi it's just beautiful. I hope to have an entryway as gorgeous as this someday.

I NEED to now how to make this!

Roxie Morrow said...

I love what you've done with your strand of lights and coffee filters. I was so amazed at what Andrea did with my Candylights, I almost screamed out loud. LOL
Love your creativity.
Roxie
www.jorabeels.com