Monday, May 11, 2009

Back from Cali ~

I'm back and had the most wonderful trip, even though it rained nearly every minute of every day!

Day 1 ~ My brother-in-law, Bryan, picked me up at the airport and our first thought was of course food! So he took me to Bake Sale Betty's in Oakland...here's the very talented Betty holding her signature chicken sandwich ~ yum! This place is a must if you love baked goods like your grandma used to make served with a smile! We stood in line to get the above mentioned famous sandwich, iced lemon drinks, cookies, and scones. All the ironing boards were taken, so we got it to go (yes, outside on the sidewalk you eat on vintage ironing boards ~ how cool is that!)


As we drove to the "gnome hut" (their cottage in the Berkeley Hills)


playing in the car was the new album Raising Sand, by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss. I had watched the Grammy's (when they won,) but had no idea it was so fabulous. Bryan says it's pure musical genius...and I think he may know a thing or two about that! Anyway, I couldn't get enough of it, and will be picking up my very own copy soon

Later that night we went to see Bryan's band, The Music Lovers

at The Makeout Room in San Francisco

It's a funky old bar decorated in vintage man cave style, but with a twist; the ceiling is dripping with ooodles of silver sparkle and a disco ball, and the stage is set with perfectly pleated red velvet drapes. It was really quite magical. A surprise were the perfect margaritas ~ I highly recommend!

Stop back tomorrow for my weekend with the talented ZNE artists and show talk, plus I'll announce the winner of this month's giveaway!

xo Heidi
* Photos ~ Google Images

2 comments:

Tristan Robin said...

sounds like you had a terrific time - and the bar looks fab!

so talent runs in the family, eh?! good on you for passing all that on!

happy mother's day!

Mademoiselle Julie said...

Thanks for the music tips, Heidi! Looks like you had a blast! Cheers, Julie